World Parkinson’s Awareness Month 2018
Last year, April 2017 marked the 200th anniversary of Parkinson’s, as it was 200 years since Dr James Parkinson published his 66 page essay, ‘The Shaking Palsy’ in 1817. His Birthday falls on April 11, which is now known as World Parkinson’s Day.
On World Parkinson’s Day, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, Parkinson’s WA will again be taking part in a global social media hashtag campaign #UniteForParkinsons, in 2017 over 160 countries use the hashtag.
2018 is especially important to Parkinson’s WA, as it not only marks 201 years of Parkinson’s, but it is also the year that Parkinson’s WA celebrates 20 years of the Parkinson’s Nurse Specialists.
How you can get involved:
• If you are on Social Media e.g. (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram), make sure you use the hashtag #UniteForParkinsons during the month of April, so that you can join the thousands of other people from across the world who are also raising awareness of Parkinson’s.
• Take a photo and post it on Social Media, use the hashtag #UniteForParkinsons so that everyone can see you are getting involved.
• Change your profile picture so that it includes ‘Unite for Parkinson’s’ here
• Ask your family and friends to like and share your photo so that they can get involved as well with spreading the word.
• Get together with family and friends to hold a morning tea, you could even fundraise by asking for a gold coin donation.
• Print off the ‘Unite for Parkinson’s’ logo and display it in your car or house window. Download the logos for free here
• Wear purple for Parkinson’s and encourage others to do so too
• Make a donation by visiting our fundraising page here
• April – World Parkinson’s Awareness Month
• Wednesday, 11 April – World Parkinson’s Day
• Wednesday, 11 April – BUNBURY morning tea
South West Parkinson’s Nurse Specialists, Nerolie and Liz are holding a morning tea from 10-11am at Community Home Care Building, 3 Parade Road, Bunbury. Morning tea is provided, $2 donation, to attend call 6457 7373.
• Wednesday, 11 April – Cake and card stall The Niche Foyer, corner of Aberdare Road and Hospital Avenue, Nedlands from 10am-2pm for gold coin donations. If you are in the area, call in!
We would love to see how you get involved in World Parkinson’s Awareness Month, and how you celebrate World Parkinson’s Day on Wednesday 11 April. Send your photos and stories to email@example.com