Whether it is because you have had a personal connection with Parkinson’s WA or you appreciate the services provided, your support is vital.
A gift in your Will (also known as a bequest) is one way to do this.
Gifts in Wills
Gifts in Wills are a meaningful and powerful way to support the work of Parkinson’s WA.
Since 1984 Parkinson’s WA has provided much needed support to more than 20,000 people living with or affected by Parkinson’s in Western Australia. Parkinson’s WA is unwavering in its commitment to providing relevant and quality services to maintain the well-being, dignity and quality of life for those diagnosed or impacted by the condition.
We understand that it’s not always easy to talk about gifts in Wills, but we simply cannot fund our work in Western Australia without contributions from gifts and donations. In fact, gifts in Wills are a vital source of our income.
Making a gift in your Will won’t impact on your lifestyle today, but will definitely make a difference in the future. If you are considering leaving a gift in your Will, it is important to seek independent legal advice to ensure your wishes are carried out as intended.
After making sure that your family and loved ones are taken care of, a gift in your Will ensures that people living with Parkinson’s benefit from your legacy. Funds from gifts in Wills support the community based Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist Service to provide personalised care and improve quality of life.
Why Make a Will?
There are still a number of Australians who leave matters to chance and do not make a Will. Wills can distribute property, name an executor, name guardians for children, forgive debts and more. Having a Will also means that you, rather than our state’s laws, decide who gets your property in the future.
How Does It Work?
- Make or update your Will – this important document must be properly prepared and executed. We recommend using a legal practitioner to make sure your Will is legal and valid
- Decide on the type of bequest
- A percentage or share (residuary gift) – the residue of the estate is what remains after all loved ones have been taken care of and charges distributed. A residuary gift could be a percentage of or the whole of the residue of the estate
- A fixed sum of money (pecuniary gift) – this is when an exact sum of money is left to us
- A specific gift – this is a nomination of a specific sum of money or assets such as property, shares, bonds and life insurance which can be used to support our work
- If you already have a Will – this can easily be updated with a Codicil – an additional clause that includes a bequest
- Notify loved ones of your wishes. We encourage you to communicate with your family, executors or guardians to ensure they understand your gift to Parkinson’s WA is important to you and of your intention to make a gift in your Will
- Notify Parkinson’s WA – we ask that you consider contacting us to let us know of your intended gift as this helps us to understand your wishes while giving us the opportunity to personally thank you and keep you up to date with our work. Knowing your intentions also assists with our future planning
Parkinson’s WA Can Help
Many people think that making a Will or changing an existing one is complicated, but we’ll show you that it doesn’t have to be.
If you would like to talk to us about leaving a gift in your Will to Parkinson’s WA, please call Dorothy Koh on (08) 6457 7373 or email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can arrange a meeting at your home or location of your choice. All enquiries are treated with utmost consideration and confidence. We can supply you with the correct wording for each of the type of gifts.
Our commitment to people making or considering a gift in Will
- We understand that your family and loved ones come first. All we ask is once you have looked after those closest to you, that you consider leaving a gift to support the work of Parkinson’s WA
- We will manage your gift with the utmost efficiency and respect and allocate funds according to your wishes
- We understand that you have the right to change your Will at any time
- We recommend you seek legal advice when completing and updating your Will
Thank you for giving consideration to leaving a Gift in your Will to Parkinson’s WA. Your legacy will have a positive and lasting impact on the lives of people with Parkinson’s in Western Australia.
We invite you to read some testimonies from people who have included Parkinson’s WA in their Will.